The Coeur d'Alene Public Library is committed to excellence in library services. Dedicated to lifelong learning, the library provides free and equal access to a full range of historical, intellectual, and cultural resources.
The Board is aware of the existing and potential value of the library to this community. Use increased by 98% after opening the new building in 2005.
After plateauing for nearly a year, library use is on the rise again but in our commitment to excellence we identified concerns to address to increase and enhance library usage and function. These are:
- Assuring adequate parking for library patrons
- Increasing library hours of operation
- Providing more adequate staffing to meet increasing demand
- Increasing multimedia collection development
- Providing more program opportunities for all ages.
The following goals and objectives address these concerns:
GOAL #1: To continue to be aware of, and responsive to, community needs.
- Track changes in demographics in order to provide access to materials that meet the needs of all members of the community.
- Interact with community groups.
- Continue to maintain a close relationship with community schools, both public and private.
- Seek input from residents, both library users and non-users, on a regular basis.
- Plan programming for residents of all ages. Continue to collaborate with area libraries on improving library services, sharing resources, and providing programs.
GOAL #2: To maintain an environment that is welcoming and safe for Library patrons and staff.
• Through technology and planning continue to explore ways to make the library safe and secure for both staff and patrons,
• Emphasize customer service throughout the Library, both at traditional service desks and by expanding library staffing into currently understaffed areas.
• Increase and improve signage and other finding aids for patrons.
GOAL #3: To keep abreast of changing technology in the provision of materials, information and patron access.
- Continue to support and expand electronic remote accessing of library resources.
- Explore new ways of providing patrons with information about library services.
- Explore new ways to assist library patrons in utilizing library services and technology.
- Continually update library catalog and circulation system as needed for patron needs.
- Offer technology related library programs.
- Publicize library offerings, regularly informing the public of 24/7 access to online books, music, research sites, other databases.
- Provide patrons with the option of receiving text notifications.
- Digitize all Coeur d’Alene Press microfilm and provide online access.
- Provide printing for wireless devices.
- Create a makerspace area for users of all ages.
- Provide adequate charging stations for most electronic devices.
GOAL #4: To continue to establish, maintain, and grow a relevant collection of books and materials in a variety of formats.
- Provide an adequate materials budget that includes guidelines for the number of copies of titles to be purchased that identifies subject areas that need continuous purchasing.
- Regularly weed collection replacing items when necessary.
- Improve the adult collection by purchasing multiple copies of high demand titles by popular authors and in popular subject areas identified in the collection development plan.
- Improve the children’s collection by purchasing multiple copies of popular books as identified generally in the collection development plan.
- Expand the young adult materials collection.
- Expand online holdings of ebooks and audiobooks for all ages.
- Maintain communication with the mayor and city council and the city administration regarding the Library’s long and short term capital needs.
- Expand funding in order to add online access to e-magazines and foreign language tutorials.
- Explore options for streaming movies.
GOAL #5: To provide community members with increased access to library materials and services.
- Increase number of open hours.
- Reserve adequate parking for patrons.
- Assure Library online information readable on every device.
- Educate community regarding the use of the expanded network system.
- Explore the concept of partnering with a school library to offer public library services.
GOAL#6: To retain current library staff and increase the number of staff to better serve patrons.
- Develop and fund more professional positions.
- Fund benefits for part-time staff.
- Increase programming hours for part-time staff.
- As the population of CdA grows, increase number of library staff positions to the standard of .5 staff FTE per every 1,000 residents.
- Secure grants via the library foundation for continuing education leading to library degrees.
GOAL #7: To keep staff members abreast of changing technology, community needs and ways of finding and providing information.
- Seek additional funding for staff development and training.
- Continue to foster staff development through attendance at statewide and regional workshops and conferences and other educational meetings.
- Encourage staff to serve on committees and boards for statewide and regional library organizations.
- Provide in-house support and training for staff members seeking to understand and/or implement new technologies, through formal training from other staff members, outside consultants, or other means at our disposal.
- Encourage staff to pursue educational opportunities related to library science.